Saturday 15 March 2008

Practice isn't making perfect

I've had the spinning wheel almost a week now, and I've done a little spinning every day, but at no point has my spinning improved. The last lot looks as bad as the first. I'm not giving up on it, but I realise this is something I need to be taught; it's not the sort of thing I can just pick up.








I'm not giving up on it though, despite it being difficult. I really was inspired the other day and Caroline has sent a photograph of the wool she's dyeing and spinning for me. The colours are gorgeous and I'm so excited by the prospect of some really unique yarn, custom made for me. I chose the yarn, the colours and she's going to spin it to my requirements (socks, obviously).

Ezzie's Grandad came over last night, and he was fascinated by it. He was working out how it works and he spent a good couple of hours thinking it all through. He is now wanting a wheel and lessons himself now. It's my job to investigate the possibilities and arrange some dates. I've got a feeling he'll end up with a wheel before me now.


I am still doing some knitting. The Jaywalkers for Rachael are finished, and are fabulous. I'm sure she will love them. I know I always think my latest pair of socks is my favourite, but these really are my most bestest favouritest socks ever. The only thing I don't like is that 76 stitches a round take longer to knit. I did the Jaywalker pattern before Christmas and this pair is better, especially on the foot, because last time on the flat part I still had 19 stitches, which was wider than the 19 stitches on the top pattern part, so this time I decreased further for the bottom of the foot for a nicer fit. This was pure chance, but the orange part ended up on the cuff, heel flap and toe, and I think this adds to the sock as well.




















I've started another pair of socks. These are Lorna's Laces in Mountain Creek. I saw we had spirals from the beginning, but thought I'd counter that by using both ends of the ball. This hasn't stopped the spirals, just made them bigger. They're not for me, they are for the female winner of a quiz at reading group. Last year the winner got a jar of pickle. This year it's socks, but we will have two winners as I'm making a pair of socks for the male winner.



















I'm actually waiting for a taxi at the moment; I'm off to the hospital for the camera down my throat. I only got the appointment on Thursday, so I've not had long to dwell. I feel like a gremlin because I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after 12am. It doesn't mention if you can clean your teeth, but I've decided it's best not to, so I am really self-concious about my breath. I can be awake or sedated, so I've decided to let them put me to sleep.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I'm thinking that your yarn just needs a bit more twist, that's all. (You weren't expecting sock yarn straight from the start were you?)

Hope it all went well this morning, at least you didn't have too much time to worry about it.