Monday 24 March 2008

Easter message

Easter has seemed different this year. It has felt just too early in the year to be Easter and the bits of snow yesterday confirmed this further. Usually we see Shona over Easter, but not this year because I've not had chance to fetch her, so all in all it's been a little odd. I didn't get dressed or leave the house yesterday. Instead I pottered around, knitted a bit, watched some tv, did some reading. It was nice to do nothing in particular and helped me to recharge my batteries.
The camera at the hospital was alright. I'm in no hurry to do it again, but at least it's done.




I've been up to all sorts since I last posted. Once again, I've been buying sock yarn and extending the list of people I have to make socks for. I have some blue and white stripes for the Wednesday fan in my life, but I am most excited by the two 'Same Difference' yarns by the Knitting Goddess. The skeins use the same colours but in different quantities. I'm going to make some photographic negative socks in these yarns. Both socks will be different. The cuffs, heels and toes will be knitted in the contrasting yarn to the main body of the sock, and the other sock will be the opposite way around.

















I am knitting a pair of socks for me at the moment in some unique yarn dyed and spun by Caroline. This yarn is gorgeous and the colours are sublime. This yarn is perfect; all the stripes are the same width and colours consistent. I cannot quite believe Caroline has done this by herself with her hands and a spinning wheel. This yarn serves as inspiration for what can be achieved, but in the meantime it makes my spun yarn far too embarrassing to post here. On Thursday Grandad and I are having lessons about spinning and we are both excited about the prospect.




















I have finished another pair of socks recently. These are the Lorna's Laces Mountain Creek socks. The recipient remains unknown as these are a prize in a competition.




















On Thursday I went around to Mara's and did some yarn dyeing with her and fellow yarn junkies. We were dyeing alpaca sock yarn and I am very excited about the outcomes because it's all drying at Mara's. Afterwards we went knitting at Cocoa and enjoyed ourselves immensely. There was even a boy (well, man really) knitting and I got him started on the road to perdition by starting him off with a sock.



On Good Friday Ezzie and I went to the cinema to see 'Love in the time of Cholera'. Obviously I would have liked the film to be in Spanish, but it was a good film despite the English and we enjoyed it a lot.



Yesterday I started a cardigan for a baby for a friend. I don't like knitting baby things usually, but I'm going to see this as an opportunity to perfect my sewing up, which is usually far from ideal. I want to get it finished in the next fortnight.




















All this activity has been good because I've felt quite down in the last week or so. Work has felt extremely stressful during the last couple of weeks and many things have felt unresolved and it's been a negative place to be. I'm hoping that the holidays will allow the dust to settle. Whichever way I know how I feel about things and hope that some things change for the better.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I wish I'd spun it but I just dyed it - that's how come all the stripes are the same length (it's superwash and nylon commercial sock yarn. Thank you for knitting them, I wanted to see what they looked like and now I know.

I thought there might have been some McKnitty yarn to see but I shall wait for another time.