Saturday 19 January 2008

Wishful thinking

Today has been about wishful thinking and nothing else. I'm really into my economy drive at the moment and stuck to my budget dutifully last week. I had seven pence in my purse by the end of the week and was really pleased that I hadn't spent more than I had intended to. Today I went to town and did lots of window shopping and wishful thinking.

If I were not saving for Australia these are the things I would have bought today:

A red cardigan from Warehouse
Some underwear from Freya
A Yankee Candle in Clean Cotton (the biggest candle they have, I might add)

I went to town with a book gift voucher and went to buy this month's book for reading group. I couldn't find a copy so I went to the enquiries desk and then another member from the group appeared in the queue holding the last copy in the shop. I was quite disappointed about this because this shopping was permitted, because it was a voucher, but alas was not to be.

I did touch a couple of balls of wool today but, thankfully, didn't see this gorgeous yarn anywhere. I saw this yarn Regia Nation 5399 on a blog today and immediately fell in love with it and I really want to knit some Jaywalkers in it. Instead I have started a pair of socks for me in the posh sock yarn Caroline got me last year. It's about time I used this yarn and I really like it so far. Again, I can't find the camera so there is no photograph. The great thing about having lots of gorgeous sock yarn, which admittedly I do in my stash, is that when it's belt-tightening time you fall back in love with yarn you had forgotten.

Remember I was complaining about the spirals in the Maine Woods Yarn? I'm still not keen on that but I have to say that this is the softest sock yarn ever. The finished socks are a treat on the feet and despite the spirals I will make more.

I suppose my post seems quite down today, though secretly I'm pleased with my ability to resist temptation for beautiful things, but if all I have to complain about is spirals in socks, I guess life isn't really too bad.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done McK. You have been very frugal and prudent this week. We all need to do that from time to time. I am also cutting back for a couple of months. I actually like doing that. Items get finished and the stash pile goes down while I look at what else I can have next (either for me or the shop!) I will look out for the Regia yarn you mention - the colours are fab!

Apple Tree Bakery said...

Would you be very unhappy with me if I said I'd found said sock yarn?

Well done with the budget - I wish I could get to grips with one!

Apple Tree Bakery said...

Um...would you be happier if I said that I have some of this and would be willing to swap? (Isn't it odd what you find in your stash!)

McKnitty said...

I love this idea of a swap! I hope that you can make the next meeting. It seems having a big stash does come in handy; it's like having stocks and shares but there's more of a guarantee of the share price not plummeting!