Monday 14 January 2008

More socks

I know it's a new year and I know that new years are about new starts, but so far this year I've knitted three pairs of socks and my list of things to knit includes more socks. I thought that 2007 was going to be the year of the sock, but 2008 might just be as well. I've decided that this year I am going to alternate socks for me and socks to be given away. Therefore, my first socks were for me, the second pair were for my pupil and the current pair are for me. I think this is a much fairer system and means I get some knitted socks because as I started Christmas knitting in July, it had been a good while since new wool was on my feet.

My pupil was mightily impressed with his knitted socks and turned up to school without socks in anticipation of wearing his woolly pair. The trouble is that now all the kids want socks and they are offering me all sorts of deals. Obviously this is all a compliment, but I'm liking knitting for me at the moment. One of my uncles wore his Christmas socks to a football match recently and said that his feet were noticeably warmer in my knitted socks. I think that he might be hankering after another pair as well. Oh dear, what have I started?

I'm currently knitting some socks in Maine Wood sock yarn in colourway Londonderry and it is gorgeous to work with. So soft, so pleasurable in the hands, I love it. The only thing I don't like about it, and this complaint is not exclusive to this sock yarn, is when the sock comes out in a spiral. Unfortunately in typical McKnitty fashion, I can't find the camera to take a photo of it, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Anybody able to recommend a gorgeous soft sock yarn which doesn't spiral?

2 comments:

Caroline M said...

Mine doesn't spiral because I don't like it doing that. Wheezy has just knitted a green/blue pair that demonstrates the not-spiralling very nicely. If you dye it in a long skein (and we're talking making a skein around two dining chairs set twelve feet apart) then you get a dye pattern with repeats far enough apart not to stack up on each other in successive rows.

I believe that I've now sorted out my fees for custom dyeing....

Knot Another Knitter said...

I'll quite happily take the Londonderry off your hands if you don't like it! Of course...you would have to change the name first hehe