Monday 11 February 2008

Super Sunday!

Well, yesterday I had a fantastic day. I was knitting with some friends in the morning and early afternoon and then went to watch Strictly Come Dancing in the evening.



On the knitting front I have finished the socks I call 'Horizon' which Caroline spun for me, and the yarn has not disappointed. They are the most warm socks I own and I love the colours, especially the oranges and blues together. They are the first pair of obviously non-identical socks I have ever made and I am actually fine with them not being identical. Ezzie says they look 'related' and that's enough for me. In fact, I found it liberating not making sure the socks were completely identical.










Caroline recently did me a big favour and sought out a ball winder for me. A while ago I was pretty obsessed with these and I have been borrrowing other people's. I don't have an ebay account, so it would have been difficult to get one without using ebay. I don't think I can quite handle ebay at the moment, so I am really grateful to Caroline for her efforts. I recently bought some of Lorraine's Lorna's Laces in Nether Green for present socks for a friend and I really enjoyed winding the yarn into a ball. It was really satisfying.


















At the moment I am venturing into new territory by using up lots of odd balls of sock yarn to create a totally unique pair of socks for Ezzie. By my reckoning I've used four different sock yarns so far and am going to use two new ones for the toe shaping. They will be pretty identical to one another in the end, but they are completely unique and a friend suggested they be called 'Pot Luck Socks', which I think is a great name and this approach may inspire others in the future. The intention was to come up with something like Caroline's stashbuster spirals but the colours are not so well blended and I overestimated the amount of yarn I started with. In the end I have decided to shove loads of stuff together and hope for the best. I probably wouldn't give these as a present, but Ezzie likes them because he loves bright socks and it is satisfying to get rid of all this remaining sock yarn. I particularly like the part on the foot with an Opal faux fair isle yarn and my own hand-dyed yarn and I will combine something like this again.


















I didn't let the side down at Strictly last night because whilst we were waiting and during the interval I got out my sock. Some young girls a couple of rows in front of me were obsessed with me knitting and told everyone in their large family to have a look at me. I felt like a superstar.


The show was amazing. The standard of dancing was spectacular. I loved every minute. Darren Gough won overall, which was excellent and I am sure I had my part to play in his victory because I was screaming 'Darren' throughout the night. Ezzie got embarrassed on a number of occasions and kept telling me off because I was spoiling it for other people. I don't think I did spoil anyone else's night because one couple near me just couldn't stop laughing. I loved his Paso Doble and screached alsorts in Spanish at the end. It was brilliant and it felt like a real privelege to see him, Lilia and all the other dancers as well. Today I've booked tickets for next year and this is good because it gives me something to look forward to, and next year we are further forward.


















Today I've been to the hospital about my eating trouble. I thought I was having the camera down but that's happening nearer to Easter. What a faff it was though. I felt like K in Kafka's The Trial, going from here, there and everywhere with bits of paper and asking questions which never seemed to get answered. I'm not looking forward to going again in a few weeks. I know hospitals are not nice places, but what I couldn't cope with was the vastness and lack of decent signage. I just kept getting bewildered. Thank goodness for my knitting. It really helped with all the tedious waiting. I'm glad that's all over, now the holidays can begin in earnest.

1 comment:

Caroline M said...

I love the potluck socks. I have bigger left overs than you because I make the cuffs shorter, a pair of socks for me gives me 30g of left overs. I like faux fairisle with something else, if you have two or three strands just of that it can make horrible blotches. If there's ever an "ugliest sock" competition I'm the front runner.