Wednesday 2 July 2008

Update

The last time I posted on here I was in a real pickle with Tulip and seriously questioning whether I would ever wear the thing. Well, since then I have worn it in public twice. Its premier was at the Wool Baa last Wednesday and everyone made a big fuss which made me feel confident and proud as I wore it to school on Thursday. Lots of pupils (some prompted, some unprompted) made nice comments and I was really pleased with myself. The day following my previous post I was lucky enough to be at Mara's with nice knitting people who helped sort me out and gave me lots of advice. It is really great to have finished a project and in the end it looks good.




At the Wool Baa last week I bought a spinning wheel. Jill hasn't branched out into wheels, but Kate was there and is going away so she sold hers to me. I must confess that I haven't used it yet. I have had it out and put it up and admired it, but I'm not used to it yet and need to spend some time bonding with it. I have been spinning, but on Caroline's borrowed wheel. In the midst of the mouse fiasco Caroline managed to teach me to ply three ply to make stripes. I love stripes and had already spun quite a bit of the merino, bamboo and soya and Grandad was keen to see so last Friday I showed him what to do and this is the outcome.








I know I am not supposed to be buying any yarn at the moment, but I have bought a little bit. I was going to knit the Colinette Camomile throw and I had some yarn to do this. I've since consulted the pattern again and I really didn't want to knit with 15mm needles, so I'm knitting another Brioche again. I did have to buy some more yarn for this throw to complement the existing yarn I had. If you are combining new yarn with stash yarn I think it is okay to purchase yarn. The new yarn is helping me use up the stash yarn. I'm loving the colours I've combined so far.

Since I last posted I've had a haircut and gone for a big change. I've got a kind of bob now and I have had some blonde highlights put in. I went to school on Monday and the kids made nice comments so that was great. Yesterday I had a St Tropez spray tan in preparation for the school prom tomorrow. I have a posh frock to wear and was feeling a bit self-conscious about my überpale skin. I'm loving the tanned look. One kid asked me if I had been to Africa. (What? Since Tuesday?) and one kid said I looked "shiny", which I took to me "glowing". I could get addicted to this. In the summer I always get a bit tanorexic and slap loads of fake tan on, but this is much more even and a lot less work.

Before I finish I have to mention the tv drama 'Criminal Justice' on the BBC. I didn't plan to watch it but Wimbeldon overran on Monday and I switched on for the news but this programme was twenty minutes in with another forty minutes to go. It is one of the best programmes I have seen in years. I cannot get it out of my head. My friend Julie and I can't stop talking about it and what's particularly brilliant is that it's on every night this week; you don't have to wait long for the next installment. It has made me think so much about prison. When I used to think about prison it was about the lack of freedom and being in one place, but the real problems are other people and the horrid things that are going on in there. It really should win lots of awards this year. It is superb.



3 comments:

maramcp said...

Your Tulip is stunning, and your new hair do is really glamourous! I was pleased to be one of the first to see the new you! Hope the Prom is loads of fun tonight. Look forward to hearing about it. Hopefully you may have some spinning time over this weekend...

maramcp said...

Forgot to say, the Brioche is looking splendid. I will get on with mine too...

Caroline M said...

I made the same change from Kiwi to Sonata and I think you'll find that the new wheel is easier to treadle. The bobbins are bigger too. I've been very happy with mine although it drank oil when it was new. Hopefully Kate will have run it in for you.